Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Transition that was to be...

A Memorable Journey Through the Nokia-ISS and SS7 Teams

It was in August 2004 that I began getting involved with the Nokia-ISS project. Until then, I had been working with the Nokia CX-MMI team, primarily on GUI-based applications. Having spent a year at Newgen working extensively on VC++, GUI development had gradually started to feel repetitive. The Nokia-ISS opportunity therefore appeared at just the right time, offering a chance to move into the Linux and Solaris domain, technologies that were widely used in the telecom industry and aligned well with my long-term interests.

As fate would have it, soon after I moved out of the CX-MMI team, several members of the group received opportunities for three-month onsite assignments at Nokia's UK facility. While missing out on the onsite opportunity was initially disappointing, the prospect of working on a more challenging and technically rewarding platform more than compensated for it.

From April 2005 onward, I assumed complete responsibility for the project. While this required me to understand and manage every aspect of the system, it also brought a significant degree of independence. I had the freedom to plan my work, take ownership of decisions, and shape the execution of the project. Moreover, Nokia was an exceptional customer to work with, making customer support and collaboration a positive experience throughout my tenure.

By September 2006, I began feeling the need for a new challenge. Having gained valuable experience in the SS7 domain, I wanted to explore emerging technologies and expand my profile further. My interests were increasingly drawn toward VoIP and 3G-related technologies. Around this time, an Internal Job Posting for the I-HSPA project appeared, presenting exactly the kind of opportunity I had been seeking.

I joined the new project in October 2006 and eventually bid farewell to the SS7 Products team on December 8, 2006.

Life in the Products Group

Working in the Products Group was a unique and memorable experience. I had often heard that product teams offered the perfect combination of challenging work and an enjoyable work environment, and the SS7 team certainly lived up to that reputation.

The team was a vibrant collection of personalities, each bringing their own flavor to the group. One of the first names that comes to mind is Kamal Kishore Pandey, known for his outspoken nature and uninhibited attitude. Then there were the energetic younger members such as Prabhakar and Nimish, along with the ever-humorous Ankit Sharma, who could effortlessly keep the team entertained.

Balancing the lively atmosphere were the technically focused and highly capable engineers such as Swapnil, Vipul, and Nilesh. Haidar frequently became the team's good-natured "fall guy," affectionately blamed whenever something went wrong. Simon Saha brought his own brand of humor to the group. Whether or not his jokes landed as intended, his enthusiasm to entertain everyone never waned, and often the laughter came as much from the performance as from the joke itself.

Then there were individuals like Pavan and Arif, whose technical depth and unwavering dedication to customer success made them stand out. Their commitment often extended far beyond normal expectations, reflecting a remarkable sense of ownership and professionalism.

No recollection of the team would be complete without mentioning Gaurav Singh, whose creative explanations and excuses during office hours were legendary. And above all was Manish Sharma, a central figure who seemed to hold the team together. Under his influence, lunch outings often attracted large groups, creating a sense of camaraderie that was the envy of many in the Presidency building.

Equally memorable were the informal tea breaks in the atrium with Deepak, Swapnil, Nilesh, Mohit, and several others. Those moments of conversation, laughter, and friendship often became the highlights of the day and contributed immensely to the team's spirit.

"....The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind...."

No comments:

How does Bond market work

Demystifying the Bond market The bond market is essentially a market where governments and companies borrow money from investors , and inve...